Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I use acrylic paint over stain?

This year for Christmas I'm making some jewelry for my cousin. I got a plain wooden box from the craft store to put it in, and would like to stain it a darker color. Is it possible for me to use acrylic paint to paint her name on top of the box over the stain?Can I use acrylic paint over stain?
Yes, if it is a water based stain,


No, if it is an oil based stain.Can I use acrylic paint over stain?
If the stain is oily the acrylic may peel off. Blot it dry first, then acrylic, and to make it stay use a clear finish over everything when you're done.
it's best not to use oil and acrylic in the same project if you want it to last the two aren't chemically compatible.Stain it with diluted acrylic color then paint over with acrylics
Oil can go over acrylic, but not the other way, so you can paint her name if it is not oil based.

No comments:

Post a Comment